Wednesday, January 18, 2012

LOUD. HANDS.

Now it's my turn to tell you about this really awesome project spearheaded by Julia and ASAN.

So, I want you to watch this video:



You totally want to donate to this awesome project now, right? I know you do! So Here is the Loud Hands Project IndiGoGo page!.

Now I'm gunna tell you a little story.

Way back in the days of AOL being a viable ISP, I was a teenager on the autism spectrum. As I was learning more about the world, and more about the words that had been used to describe me & justify poor treatment, I found the internet. You can find a community about anything on the internet-even AOL.

I had been told my whole life that I was broken, just like the autistics in the Loud Hands Project video. I mean, seriously, I cried like a baby the first time I watched this, because...it is so true. They never stopped trying to fix me either.

But I came to the conclusion on my own, when I was about 15, that I am not broken. Am I different? Yep. Disabled? You bet. But that doesn't make me broken.

At age 16 I started posting on autism message boards. In all my teenage arrogance, I was sure that these other people-almost entirely parents-would be all happy to know me & delighted to know that I'm not broken.

No. No they were not. Not at all. Not even a little. It was harsh, being all alone with the conviction that my brain is beautiful, that who I am is who I am supposed to be, that I am not damaged goods. When you hear from all over that you aren't ok because of how you are wired, it's hard to keep connected to that fundamental truth: you are ok.

As a teenager I was fighting alone, and it's always been the kind of fight I can't win-the fight to be seen as a whole, complete human being exactly as I am.

But I'm not alone anymore. We are not alone anymore. We may not yet be winning, but I am no longer losing alone.

And we need the Loud Hands Project so that the next teenage autistic kid who comes to the conclusion that she isn't broken, that everyone else's perceptions of her are what is wrong, has a community. So that she knows that there are people out here who embrace her beautiful brain and her loud hands.

See? Told you you wanted to donate.

The IndieGoGo site is taking donations until the very end of March 15. We've already met the initial goal, which means the anthology-the book that hypothetical autistic kid up there can find & know she isn't alone-is a go. There are other plans for more funds, as spelled out on the Onward & Upward page on the Loud Hands Project tumblr.

If you wish to contribute writing, here are some sumbission guidelines!

Find LHP on Facebook and Twitter!

More nifty goodies, including a script for sharing LHP, blog badges, and updates can be found on the Loud Hands Project tumblr.

We need this. It is time for our hands to be loud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry with "we may not yet be winning, but I am no longer losing alone"

I really hope we can do better for the autism community.

Anonymous said...

And by autism I meant autistic. **lol** Sorry, old habits die hard.