Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's autistics speaking day...and I have not much to say

Today is I think the third? anniversary of the day some Australian group decided that not using social media was analogous to understanding being autistic. And a couple friends of mine said "ummm how about you listen to us instead?" and it's still going strong.

My first post on this blog was for that Autistics Speaking Day. This post is too. Except I don't have a whole lot to say.

I've been saying the same things for half my life. I've had to say the same things for half my life because people, on the whole, don't listen. I don't have much new to say because that would build on the old. Until the old is heard the new won't make sense.

I dearly love making sense, even though it tends to make angry people who don't want to understand.

If you are a parent, your child still needs to know they are the child you wanted and dreamed and hoped for. That isn't going to change, though I'm sad I have to keep saying it. If you are an Autistic person, you are a person who deserves to be treated as such. If you are my friend, know that I love you fiercely. If you are my community member & I haven't met you yet, welcome.

Maybe next year there will be call to say something new, instead of self echolalia. Echolalia is also communication, though, so it will meet my needs for now.





Image is a beaded bracelet that says YES on one side & NO on the other. It's a way of speaking when mouthwords won't work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that I am listening. I'm a mum to a wonderful 7 year old boy and your blog, and others like yours, has taught me so much. While my son has an amazing ability to let me know how he sees and experiences the world, the fact that people like you are speaking up and saying similar things to him comforts me because I know that he will not be alone when he is older. Thank you for taking the time to do what you do.

Anonymous said...

Listening...
Taking it in...
With love...
With endless appreciation...


jess said...

listening.

trying.

sometimes screwing up anyway.

always coming back to listen.

and the bracelet is genius.

DanYellow said...

I feel as if I've already completed the college of Autistic culture and got my degree. Half the time, I don't even read the articles that I share, because I already know what they say. I eagerly await the day when you're willing to say something new. I'm ready to build.

D Marcotte said...

I like the focus of the day - listening to people who are actually autistic instead of to lots of people who aren't but think they are experts anyway. Thanks for sharing.